Below is a list of the basic collections of plants available from the Glasshouse Works, including many items which would cost considerably more if ordered individually. You will find groups of plants reflecting plant families (such as fat lilies & Gesneriads) or individual genera (such as Ivies, Coleus, or Begonias) as well as theme collections of plants all compatible for a particular environment or use (such as terrarium or outdoor urns, or topiaries). The list finishes some giant inclusive collections aimed at getting you started in your greenhouse, on your windowboxes or club plant sale. Enjoy reading through them. We have added new ones for 2013! The "Terrarium Collections" are amoung our most popular.
For those curious about trying a new family or genus of plants, or for a compatible assortment of companion plants--as well as those interested in a bargain--these plant collections are the answer. Many customers also have found that these collections contitute a perfect birthday or holiday gift. Several new collections are offered as new fads and fashions emerge. In addition to our Base Cost of$8.50 for Ground and $9.50 for Air Service, please add the following charges: For Air Service add $4.50 in addition for the base charges of $9.50 per order for each 5 plant collection ordered; and for collections of 10 or 20 plants add $7.50 in addition for the base charges of $9.50, for each collection ordered. For Ground Service add the base of charge of $8.50 per order plus 2.50 for the smaller order and 4.50 for the larger collection.
Be sure to notice the particular target collections that are aimed at the spring or summertime bedding season. We offer various collections which work well in urns, pots and tubs on the patio, in the garden border, and in window boxes. Please note: Special shipping rates apply to the two large Greenhouse Hobbyist Collections as their price includes some of the shipping costs. Remember the base charge only needs to be added once for your entire order.
Notes on Plant Collections:
- All plants will be labeled; no duplicates will be included unless you so request--unless you have ordered several of the exact same collection which would necessarily involve duplications.
- If you already have several plants in a category and wish to order a collection of this group, simply include the names of what you already have so we do not send duplicates.
- If you designate specific plants in a collection, we will entertain your suggestions but cannot guarantee or promise their inclusion. If you want a particular plant, order it from the main catalogue.
- A number of plant society chapters, garden clubs, public garden plant sales houses, etc. regularly order these very economic collections to raise money for their groups or institutions; if your group or sales area would like quotes for larger numbers of plants, or different categories (such as plants for young children, Crassula family members, hanging basket or wreath making subjects, etc.) please write or call us for specific quotations.
- Because of the demands on our mailorder, collections cannot be picked up on our open days unless you have provided us with your want list at least a week ahead so these plants might be pulled with other orders at the beginning of the shipping days. They are mailorder only. Our walk in area has a fine selection of plants at all time available for your selection when you arrive--you will find many selections not individually listed on the website as well as the more popular catalogue offerings on the benches Fridays and Saturdays, as well as larger specimens and hanging baskets.
The catalogue will periodically have other Collections available. We might possibly change the variety here also during the year, as stocks and crops change.
Stock Number: 99691
The serious impact of Ligularia, Breynia, Clerodendron, Musa, Alocasia, Alpinia, Anthurium., Bougainvillea, Eragrostis, Colocasia, rare Canna, Aucuba, leafy Euphorbias, Crinums, Colocasia, summer blooming Hibiscus, Brugsmansia, etc. Five plus plants. We must be doing something right with this selection as many customer...
Stock Number: 99034
For those of you wishing to grow your herbs indoors or in your winter greenhouses throughout the year. We can draw upon the appropriate species from among these tropical & subtropical genera--Hedychium, Fouquieria, Elatostemma, Curcuma, Ugni, Phlomis, Lippa, Olea, Vanilla, Ornithogalum, Laurus, Myrtus, Myrsine, Bap...
Stock Number: 99017
The range of possibilities is daunting; so please indicate whether you need types willing to curtain your indoor windows, spill over a basket, climb to the top of your greenhouse with showy blossoms, or quickly cover your patio trellis. We can focus on gathering your plants from vines valuable for their blooms: such as...
Stock Number: 99106
We will send groundcovers, compact rosette tuffets, and even some very dwarf shrubs perfect for your trough design. We can select from Achillea, Ajuga, Allium, Arabis, Armeria, Artemesia, Buxus, Cheilanthes, Dianthus, dwarf Equisetum, Euonymous, Hieracium, dwarf Hosta, Lychnis, miniature Pennisetum, Petrorhagia, Phlox,...
Stock Number: 99458
We always aim to include at least one each of a spiller, a thriller, and a filler. A palette of colorful plants tolerant of high exposures to wind & sun on your deck or in the dappled light of your secret garden--you tell us in what climate & container conditions your yearnings to do some urning will be consummated and...
Stock Number: 99066
Mainly old Victorian favorites. If you have a greenhouse or cool bright plant room, this will be a fine collection for you to play with--we will select from such as Abutilon, Barleria, Brugmansia, Carissa, Cestrum newellii, Citrofortunella,Cochliostema, ' Dombeya, Epiphyllum, Gloxinia sylvatica, Hibiscus, Ibosa, Jasmin...
Stock Number: 99067
Mainly old Victorian favorites also, but these are plants that typically need a bright winter window or a cool to moderate temperature window for best performance. Remember blooming plants do need good light--none of the following will set buds and blooms if not given adequate light. Selections could be from Aechmea, A...